Discover the excitement and opportunities for creative photography at Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge, a most spectacular refuge in North America.
Every year, tens of thousands of birds including sandhill cranes, Arctic geese, and many species of ducks gather each autumn and stay through the winter. At dawn and dusk, snow geese erupt in explosions of wings, and flight after flight of geese and cranes can be photographed going to farm fields to feed or coming in to roost in marshes. This bird photography workshop at Bosque del Apache is scheduled during a timeframe of historical peak activity at the wildlife refuge.
What You’ll Learn on this Bosque del Apache Photography Workshop
Improve Your Avian Photography Skills
This Bosque del Apache photography workshop is an excellent opportunity to improve your bird photography skills right alongside Nikhil Bahl. Whether you are making bird portraits, photographing memorable action shots, or getting creative with birds in flight, Nikhil will be focused on your photography and making sure you are getting the best shots possible.
Nikhil will be right by your side to teach you various aspects of bird photography including:
- How to create the perfect photo composition of your subject
- Angle of light and the difference it makes in creating photos
- How to select the right focal length
- How to select the right settings on your camera for specific situations
- How to create consistently sharp images of birds in motion
- How to slow your shutter speed down to create artistic blur images of birds
- Post-processing tips and techniques
On our first evening together, Nikhil will give a presentation on what to expect during your Bosque del Apache photography workshop. He will also share several tried and true photographic techniques, a variety of shooting strategies, and how to interpret your subject matter creatively in the days to come.
Daily Morning, Midday, and Afternoon Sessions
Every morning and late afternoon we will go on field trips as a group to photograph birds. During our midday classroom sessions we will be giving each other constructive, in-depth feedback on the images we have made. Nikhil will also share his own post processing tips and tricks.
7:00pm–9:00pm: Orientation meeting and presentation at the hotel.
5:45am–9:00am: Sunrise field trip
9:30am: Return to hotel for breakfast
12:30pm–2:30pm: Classroom session
3:00pm–5:30pm: Sunset field trip
5:45am–8:30am: Sunrise field trip
9:00am: Return to hotel (end of workshop)
Weather: Early morning the temps will be below freezing (in the 20’s) with warmer afternoons (in the 50’s and 60’s)
- All in-the-field and classroom instruction.
- Private board room provided for daily critiques and image editing as well as classroom instruction.
Itinerary Does Not Include:
- Discounted lodging has been arranged; confirmations will be provided upon registration and receipt of deposit.
- Cost of lodging or meals.
- Transportation throughout; we'll encourage carpooling to/from the refuge as it is a 30 minute drive from the hotel.
||Registration through Naturescapes
Please contact Nikhil if you have any questions about any of the workshops listed above.
Back to Workshop page